Sunday, April 17, 2011

Roller Derby in Roseburg!

So, a roller derby team has been in the works here in our small town of Roseburg for quite some time. I'm pretty sure I was hearing about it at least a year ago, and that wasn't even the beginning of everything. They were having trouble getting a venue to skate, but apparently they finally got everything worked out, because last night our local derby team, The Umpqua Valley Roller Vixens, made their debut on a flat track at the county fairgrounds.

This was the first derby I have seen in real life, and only the second time I have seen a roller derby if you include watching the movie Whip It, and you probably shouldn't, haha! I had a great time! Before the derby I was explaining I could never be in a roller derby because I am too much of a whimp and was afraid of getting hurt. After watching, I realized it's not quite as brutal as I expected it to be and it's something I would actually consider doing if I had the time and finances to go that route. It was fun, it was active, it was different, and it was just agressive enough to be able to take out some anger and bottled up tension without being so agressive that people were getting skates in the teeth or something. My friends and I were instantly trying to think of awesome derby names, most of which I would decline to share with you out of respect for some of your innocent ears/eyes, and have a great time just talking about the possibility of joining.

What about you guys? Have you seen any roller derbys, thought about joining, played yourselves, or come up with fun derby names? Let's hear all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment